Skip to content


Greely Expedition: Day 38

Day 38: Saturday, August 13th, 1881

The day opened fair. Work was commenced on our quarters this am, under the supervision of our boss carpenter Capt. Ellison. Lt. Greely had named this place Ft. Conger, in honor of Mr. Conger of Michigan, who [has] done much in Congress to help the cause of the expedition. Everybody very busy during the day. The word of unloading goes on very rapidly. The cask of English rum was taken out today and issued to the men, who enjoyed it very much after working all day in the cold and wet.

Posted in Polar Year.

Tagged with , , , , , .

Read Comments