Skip to content


Communications Security Logistics Activity History

A few weeks ago we posted about the formation of the NSA.  But did you know that the US Army CECOM also works in national security?  Based out of Fort Huachuca, Arizona, the Communications Security Logistics Activity (CSLA), they wanted to “share some information [they] have regarding [their] past and ongoing contributions to the cryptologic community.”  The CSLA has graciously provided their permission to post the CSLA historical timeline on our blog.  Their organization’s website is http://csla.army.mil/ as a reference for further information.  Special thanks from the CECOM historians to Alicia DeCarlo for bringing all this excellent information to our attention!   

U.S.ARMY COMMUNICATIONS SECURITY LOGISTICS ACTIVITY (CSLA) HISTORY

 The following is a chronological history of the U.S. Army CECOM LCMC Communications Security Logistics Activity extracted from historical records on file within the activity.  There are certain to be some gaps in this timeline, and some dated milestones were surmised from incomplete data on file.  However, from the data available, and research conducted with individuals who were assigned to the activity before it re-located to Fort Huachuca, it is felt that the most significant milestones have been accurately portrayed.

 

June 1942 –            The U.S. Army Signal Intelligence Service is established at Arlington Hall Station, VA.  Cryptographic functions are an integral part of this Agency’s mission.

July 1943 –              The name of the Signal Intelligence Service is changed to the U.S. Army Signal Security Agency. 

1945 –                      The name of the Army Signal Security Agency is changed to the U.S.  Army Security Agency (ASA).

 

October 1955 –     General Order 62, HQDA.  The U.S. Army Signal Communications Security Agency (USASCSA) is established as a separate Class II Activity at Arlington Hall Station, and under the Command jurisdiction of the Chief Signal Officer, HQDA.

 

November 1957 – General Order 5, HQDA.  USASCSA is redesignated as the U.S. Army Signal Communications Security Service.

 

December 1957 – General Order 10, HQDA.  The U.S. Army Signal Communications Service is redesignated as the U.S. Army Signal Communications Security Agency (USASCSA).  (Note:  No explanation of why these rapid reversals occurred.)

 

September 1960 –            General Order 8, HQ USASCSA.  The COMSEC Regional Issuing Office (CRIO), organic to USASCSA, is established at the U.S. Army Signal Depot, Lexington, KY.

 

June 1961 –                   General Order 15-1, HQ USASCSA.  A second COMSEC Regional Issuing Office (CRIO), organic to USASCSA, is established at the U.S. Army Signal Depot, Sacramento, CA.

 

November 1961 – General Order 29, HQ USASCSA.  The USASCSA Alternate National Inventory Control Point (NICP) is established at the Lexington Signal Depot, Lexington, KY.

Mar 1962 –              General Order 1, HQ USASCSA.  A subactivity of USASCSA is established at Lexington Signal Depot consisting of an Alternate National Inventory Control Point, and the COMSEC Regional Issuing Office.

May 1962 –                         General Order 5, HQ USASCSA.  Reorganization and consolidation of USASCSA elements.  The COMSEC National Inventory Control Point (NICP) is established at Lexington Signal Depot.  The Alternate COMSEC NICP is relocated to Arlington Hall Station.

 

Jul 1962 –                General Order 7, HQ USASCSA.  The Alternate COMSEC NICP is  relocated to the Sacramento Signal Depot.

 

Dec 1962 –              General Order 16, HQDA, Office of the Chief Signal Officer.  Effective 1 Dec 1962, USASCSA will consist of a Headquarters and a COMSEC National Maintenance Point (NMP) at Arlington Hall Station, VA; the NICP and CRIO at Lexington, KY; and a CRIO at Sacramento, CA.

 

Feb 1964 –              General Order 6, HQDA.  USASTRATCOM is designated a MACOM.  The USASCSA is discontinued as a Class II Activity.  The mission, personnel, property, and other assets of USASCSA revert to USASTRATCOM, now called NETCOM/9th Signal Command (Army).  A STRATCOM Directorate is organized as Office of the Army COMSEC Manager.

 

Jun 1964 –              CRIOs are transferred to STRATCOM-CONUS.

 

Jun 1967 –              HQ USASTRATCOM and the COMSEC Directorate are re-located to Fort Huachuca, AZ, from the Washington, DC area.

 

1970 –                      Office of the Army COMSEC Manager becomes a Directorate in USACEEIA (now ISEC), a subordinate Command of USASTRATCOM.

 

Oct 1972 –               General Order 234, HQ AMC.  COMSEC management functions at Fort Huachuca and LBAD are transferred from STRATCOM to AMC.  The CG, ECOM (now C-E LCMC), is designated as the Army COMSEC Commodity Manager.  Retail/regional COMSEC support missions are retained by USASTRATCOM.

 

Nov 1972 –              General Order 11, HQDA.  The COMSEC Directorate at Fort Huachuca is reorganized and becomes the U.S. Army COMSEC Logistics Agency, a Class II Activity under AMC.  The COMSEC Depot at LBAD, formerly a Class II Activity, is redesignated as the COMSEC Directorate, organic to LBAD.

 

1978 –                      The U.S. Army COMSEC Logistics Agency is redesignated as the U.S.  Army COMSEC Logistics Activity. 

Dec 1988 –              Permanent Order 117-1, HQ AMC.  The U.S. Army Communications Security Logistics Activity (CSLA) is redesignated as the U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, Communications Security Logistics Activity (USACCSLA). 

 

Aug 2004 –           Memorandum of Agreement between the Commanding General AMC and the Assistant Secretary of the Army Acquisition, Logistics and Technology creates Life Cycle Management Commands (LCMC’s). CSLA becomes part of the Communications-Electronics Life Cycle Management Command (C-E LCMC).

 

Aug 2007 –             The Communications-Electronics Life Cycle Management Command  (C-E LCMC) is redesignated as the CECOM Life Cycle Management Command (CECOM LCMC).

Posted in From the Archives.

Tagged with , , , , , , , , .

Read Comments